Subject: Re: Installing Ross hypersparcs in a SS10
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/2004 17:43:37
On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 05:37:44PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 07:28:16PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 06:25:02PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> > > `banner` shows that I'm at ROM version 2.7. How does one go about
> > > obtaining installing a newer boot ROM?
> >
> > Thanks to Mark for sending me some more pointers -- I didn't realize
> > that the boot prom is a hardware upgrade rather than a rom image
> > upgrade. I think I've got everything figured out now.
>
> I've since obtained and installed a 2.25 boot prom. Wow, is it ever more
> verbose when booting!

> I have a NetBSD install sitting the SCSI disk with ID 3. Is there
> something I need to do to get the box to boot? Does "hanging" at this
> point indicate Bad Things?

Erp, my bad. It had switched to the screen/keyboard for I/O for some
reason and lost it's "boot-device = disk3" line. So it wasn't hung, it
just wasn't talking to ttya anymore.

I've changed the nvram settings back to what I want and I think it'll be
fine now.

-T

--
"To prefer evil to good is not in human nature; and when a man is
 compelled to choose one of two evils, no one will choose the greater