Subject: Re: Problem with Compaq DLT streamer
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/15/2004 14:42:27
On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 07:58:32PM +0200, Chris Amthor wrote:
> Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@netbsd.org> wrote:
> > Does it work with /dev/rst0 ? /dev/st0 is a block device.
>
> Seems like. But using the raw device isn't the intended way to access
> tape drives, is it?

according to st(4):

	The device can have both a raw interface and a block
	interface; however, only the raw interface is usually
	used (or recommended).

I'm quite not sure why.  I think it has to do with the block interface
performing blocking which isn't desired or necessary with most
tape-using tools, like dump and pax.

  "someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able
  to write provably correct software.  also, I want a pony." -- Zach Brown