Subject: RE: MP unstable on 2.0?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Gary Parker <G.J.Parker@lboro.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/05/2004 11:43:46

Yeah, up until recently Craig Dewick ran a good web page at:
http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick/data/bootroms.htmldetailing
all sorts of different OBP versions for different Sun hardware but I'm
getting 403 off it now (it was working up until 2 weeks ago at most). I seem
to remember reading that you only need the 2.25R PROM if you go *over*
150MHz.

Also, Hauke asked:

> Did you install over an older setup? You probably need to update the
> bootloader (man installboot).

Yes, I did install over an existing 1.6.2 setup, following the directions
here:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#installing

I get to the end of step 2, reboot, and that's where it hangs with the 2.0
kernel. I'm afraid I don't entirely understand your suggestion, do I need to
install a newer version of installboot from the 2.0 branch or just update
the existing bootstrap?

I've tried running 'installboot /dev/sd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot' as
described in the installboot manpage (yes, /dev/sd0a is my root file system)
but this complains that the device is busy (same result in single user
mode).

Once more, any suggestions will be greatfully accepted...

Gary