Subject: -mv8 on SS20 in 1.5.4_ALPHA kernel: panic with coda
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/26/2002 13:21:26
Sorry for the lack of detail, but a heads up: don't compile sparc
kernels with -mv8!

I built a kernel with

makeoptions    COPTS="-pipe -mv8 -O2"

It seemed to work fine, until I tried to cp a file into /coda.  The
second time (DDB troubles on a remote machine), I got a crash dump,
which said 'panic: fp disabled' (from memory), and it was in
cpuswitch().

So, I wonder if the -mv8 caused gcc to emit integer multiplies
somewhere in coda land and they are 'fp' ops.  Perhaps -msoft-float is
needed for kernel compiles, and we just never ran into this before
since without -mv8 no integer multiplies are emitted.

I am rebuilding with standard flags; it is possible this is not the
problem, but the coda sources along 1.5 are unchanged since
2001-08-16.

        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>