Subject: Re: 1.5.3 -> 1.6 upgrade problems
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/29/2002 09:07:37
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jon Buller wrote:
>
> > I'm running 1.5.3_RC1 right now, and wanted to try using the CLISP
> > package.  That will not compile on NetBSD/sparc, and the maintainers
> > asked me to try using a newer compiler than egcs-1.1.2.  (Specifically
> > mentioned were 2.95.x, 3.0.x, and 3.1.)
> >
> > Noticing that 1.6 has a newer compiler, and that I want an excuse
> > to upgrade anyway, I thought I'd give it a shot.  Checking out the
> > head of the netbsd-1-6 branch and running build.sh breaks when
> > building cksum.  Something about several functions named RMD160*
> > are missing so the link fails.
> >
> 	Are you able to try building on another host - cross compiling
> 	from i386 for example? Do you have anything ing your mk.conf?

Unfortunately, no.  It would be a big pain to try to set up the
Mac OSX machine to do it, not to mention the gripes I'd get when
the wife and kids could not use it for a few days... 8^)  That
leaves my pc532, which has a 1GB disk 91% full with a build of
1.5.3 which is going to ftp.netbsd.org after the hardware switch
today.  (I was going to do it yesterday, but thought it might be
easier on the movers if I waited until tomorrow or Monday.)

> > So I thought I'd grab the 1.5ZA snapshot and use that, but when I
> > told the prom "boot disk1 /stand/generic15za" it told me "Illegal
> > Instruction" after printing X+Y+26976.  (I didn't write down the
> > first two numbers, but if you want them, I can reboot easily enough.)
> >
> 	For snapshots you should try releng.netbsd.org

I looked over there, but I only found source files.  But I just
looked again, and I see that there are several arch directories.
Oh, I see now!  I jumped into the most current directory just after
the builds were started, now they are half done.  (At least the
sparc stuff isn't there yet.) So going to the previous directory,
I see everything I need.

> > I assume I either have a bad kernel, or a bad boot loader.  Any
> > suggestions on upgrading without wiping out everything on my disk?
>
> 	Try a 1.6_BETAx snapshot from releng.netbsd.org. You may need
> 	to update the bootloader.. hmm - you might want to try booting
> 	the miniroot if you still have problems and use that to update
> 	the bootloader.

Yeah, I'll need to be careful to not make my disk useless.  The
sun424 disk inside the LX died a while ago, so the whole machine
is hanging on the one and only disk in an external case.  That
worries me a bit as well.  Need to get a little money and time to
get another disk installed.

Thanks, David  I think I might have it under control again.
(But don't bet on that yet. 8^)  I'll pester everyone more if
I stumble into problems with the 200206270000 build.

Jon