Subject: Re: 1.5.3 -> 1.6 upgrade problems
To: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/29/2002 09:04:45
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jon Buller wrote:

> I'm running 1.5.3_RC1 right now, and wanted to try using the CLISP
> package.  That will not compile on NetBSD/sparc, and the maintainers
> asked me to try using a newer compiler than egcs-1.1.2.  (Specifically
> mentioned were 2.95.x, 3.0.x, and 3.1.)
>
> Noticing that 1.6 has a newer compiler, and that I want an excuse
> to upgrade anyway, I thought I'd give it a shot.  Checking out the
> head of the netbsd-1-6 branch and running build.sh breaks when
> building cksum.  Something about several functions named RMD160*
> are missing so the link fails.

	Are you able to try building on another host - cross compiling
	from i386 for example? Do you have anything ing your mk.conf?

> So I thought I'd grab the 1.5ZA snapshot and use that, but when I
> told the prom "boot disk1 /stand/generic15za" it told me "Illegal
> Instruction" after printing X+Y+26976.  (I didn't write down the
> first two numbers, but if you want them, I can reboot easily enough.)

	For snapshots you should try releng.netbsd.org

> I assume I either have a bad kernel, or a bad boot loader.  Any
> suggestions on upgrading without wiping out everything on my disk?

	Try a 1.6_BETAx snapshot from releng.netbsd.org. You may need
	to update the bootloader.. hmm - you might want to try booting
	the miniroot if you still have problems and use that to update
	the bootloader.

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --