Subject: Re: SCSI disk problems
To: None <wysoft@c481444-a.bremtn1.wa.home.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/01/2001 01:34:55
>Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:17:03 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Jeff Wyman <wysoft@c481444-a.bremtn1.wa.home.com>
>
>Sorry, I wrote the email right after waking up. I mean that after I
>reassigned a block, I would run fsck_ffs again, but it would stop on the
>same block and would continue issuing "CANNOT READ BLK" errors for each
>block after that one, e.g.  Block 2048, 2049, 2050, 2051, and so
>forth. Even after running and re-running rigorous Solaris tests, the disk
>showed no errors. I suppose I will just have to shell out money for
>another disk if this continues. I'm still not convinced the disk is bad,
>but time is money...
>
>> Pardon my density, but I don't understand your last sentence at all.
>> Did it keep complaining about the block you had just reassigned?  Or
>> did you fix one block, and then it complained about another block?

If you were feeding the block numbers from fsck into "scsictl
reassign", that may be the reason it didn't work.  You need to get the
physical block number.  If you have the SCSIVERBOSE option in your
kernel, the error message will be displayed in a quasi-readable
format.  The physical sector number, if I remember correctly, will be
in the "Info Field" of the error sense code dump.

Cheers,
entropy