Subject: Re: parity-generating SIMMs
To: None <kazk@yyy.or.jp>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/17/2001 13:20:31
> Hi,
>
> I just wonder if I can use parity-generating SIMMs which are actually don't
> have parity chips on them, however have ICs which generate parity bits for
> Classic.

Interesting that you should ask.  I ran into that problem on an IPX,
and found that nondescript IBM ram worked, as did nondescript Compaq
72 pin ram.  The IBM ram was 12 chip from an old RS6000 machine, and
the Compaq ram was 2 chip, from an old Pentium Proliant desktop.
It was mostly a plug and try it.  It will either freeze, or come
up and report some errors, or work fine.

All my good IPX ram wound up in my Classic, but the IPX ram will usually
work in the Classic.

The random ram worked fine, for me, and rescued an otherwise ramless machine.

Bob