Subject: Re: IPC issues
To: , <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/22/2001 14:00:39
>If you are in a big hurry and/or don't have any money for a new eeprom you

Actually, it's not EEPROM but, rather, BBSRAM.

>can carefullly graft a new battery onto the existing eeprom and use the
>Sun NVRAM faq to recode your settings into it.

>I've seen this suggested several times but I actually DID replace the batt

I did it on a set of 3 IPC's here.  About 5 minutes per machine.

>on mine.  You have to CAREFULLY expose the leads and solder the new batt
>to them.  It works and will completely and forever rejuvinate it as you
>can allways replace the batt again very quickly.

Exactly.  You also have to remember to sever the leads to the
old lithium cell in the process.  And, get the polarity right
(I saw at least one "FAQ" that had this backwards!)

A friend sent me a boatload of NiMH 3 (AAA) cell battery packs.  I
figured I could "spare" 3 for NVRAMs...  :>

I attached a small, 2 pin connector to the "tophat" for connection
to the "external" battery pack and piggy-backed a little trickle
charger circuit across the power pins of the NVRAM so the battery
would be floated during normal operation (NiMH self discharge pretty
quickly).  I used a self-adhesive velcro patch to stick the pack to
the inside of the case near the NVRAM.

Works fine.  And, if I ever need to replace the battery (sloppy
charger design  :< ) I can just solder a pair of wires onto a
new one and plug it in...

--don