Subject: Re: SS1 as X-terminal and "le0: whatever"
To: Rik van Mierlo <rik@ricardis.tudelft.nl>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/13/2000 18:47:36
On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Rik van Mierlo wrote:

> hi,
>
> I know that this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it in the
> mailinglists:
> how do I turn off those stupid "le0: something failed" messages. I tried
> stripping out some lines from am7990.c, but my C skills are so bad that I
> couldn't get the kernel to compile anymore after that. After cursing at the
> monitor for about 4 hours I realized that the le0 messages have to go before
> I can actually use this machine.

	quickest option - run xconsole of an xterm -C

> Another problem that doesn't have anything to do with the previous one is
> that I have a lot of problems compiling programs from the ports collection.
> The compile usually stops with "illegal reloc type mix" somewhere in the
> last lines. I can't remember getting these messages with 1.4.1, but I didn't
> use X on it back then, and it has been close to a year since the last
> reboot/install :-) so I could be wrong.

	This would probably be with KDE and other large c++ programs?

	I believe this is fixed in 1.5_ALPHA, otherwise for 1.4.X
	you can use the 'c++rt0.o.PIC' in
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/c++rt0/
	(see the README in that dir).

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --