Subject: Re: Sparc Classic dilemma
To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/01/2000 08:37:12
> My experience is with SPARCstations/servers but you're either:
>
> a) partly hosed if the EEPROM is not password protected
>
> or
>
> b) really hosed if the EEPROM is password protected.

	Foo. I got one once that had the EEPROM password
protected. I simply pulled the thing out of its socket, stuck it in my
UniSite, read it, and examined the hex dump. The EEPROM
password was in plain text, and was glaringly obvious.

	The only time I would say "really hosed" in the second situation
is if you don't have access to, or know anyone with, a device
programmer.

Bruce Lane, Owner/Head Honcho,
Blue Feather Technologies (www.bluefeathertech.com)
kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com
"SCSI Users, Unite! Beware the IDEs of March!"