Subject: Re: magma LC 2+1 Sp sparc device question
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick@lios.apana.org.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/28/1999 20:11:37
In <Pine.GSO.3.95.990927214018.22938B-100000@kelly.etude.com> peter@boku.net ("Peter Eisch") writes:

>no luck from news, so a question here:

>SS2 & LX, LC2+1, no luck.  I've now tried three different LC2+1's (one
>old, two spanking new).  My 1.4 kernel, though I've tried the GENERIC 1.4
>as well,  allows me to open the device.  I see the characters that I enter
>with a modem connected with a sparse /etc/remote definition.

I am planning to install NetBSD onto my gateway machine soon to replace
SunOS (5.6). The machine is a Sparc LX with some RAM, a 2 gig IBM SCSI disk,
and a Magma LC 2+1 Sp card, so I'll be interested to see what happens.

I'm using Paul Mackerras' PPP package at the moment, and it's supposed to
work with NetBSD, so replacing SunOS (5.6) with NetBSD will prove at least
three things:

 - if NetBSD's Magma support really works,

 - if Paul Mackerras's PPP software really works under NetBSD 1.4.1,

 - if Paul's PPP software can work with the Magma card using the default
   device drivers (since Magma don't supply device drivers for anything
   other than SunOS 4.x and 5.x).

I'm especially curious since Linux now has multipath routing in the kernel,
and it's something that NetBSD should have too since it would all PPP
software to be modified to run multiple, parallel links that appear as one
link to everything else. I'm sure people would have seen my messages about
this issue here recently. 8-)

FYI, all this activity is following on from my successful (finally, after
working out what I was doing wrong!) install of 1.4.1 onto a Sparc 5 which
replaced my Sparc LC as an FTP server.

Regards,

Craig.

--