Subject: installing on raw system
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick@lios.apana.org.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/1999 19:12:39
This might seem like a common question, but the install instructions are not
covering the area I'm having difficulty grasping...

I have a Sparcstation 5 with a new 4.5 gig SCA disk and some RAM which I
want to install NetBSD on.

I have FTP'd all of the required gzipped tarballs, etc. for the 1.4.1
release, and they currently live on this machine (my Sparc 20 running SunOS
5.6).

How do I install NetBSD onto the SS-5 using the gzipped tarballs and all the
installation files that I've FTP's? I'd prefer to use the miniroot option,
but that's not possible since the disk in the Sparc 5 has nothing on it.

I have booted SunOS in single-user mode on the SS-5 so I could format and
partition the disk, since there is no other obvious method available. Now
the disk in the SS-5 is labelled, but all the filesystems are still
uninitialised and empty.

The only method of installing NetBSD onto the SS-5's disk looks like being
the diskless-setup option with the miniroot loading from an NFS-mounted
location on this machine. I've set up diskless Xterminals before, but I've
never done an install remotely...

What other methods are available? The install instructions seem to be
missing some key information from what I've read.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Dewick. Send email to "cdewick@lios.apana.org.au"