Subject: Re: Is Sun4 (VMEbus) support any better now? Mee Too?
To: Harald Barth <haba@pdc.kth.se>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/08/1999 16:19:46
On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Harald Barth wrote:

> #   segment 0:  tapeboot
> #   segment 1:  netbsd.sun3  (RAMDISK3)
> #   segment 2:  netbsd.sun3x (RAMDISK3X)
> #   segment 3:  miniroot image

Right. We obviously need only one image, as all Sparc systems can
use the same kernel. (The 3 and 3x used different kernels in 1.3.)

> I have not found any evidence how to build the tapeboot.

For the Sun 3, it's in src/sys/arch/sun3/stand/tapeboot. We don't
have a tapeboot for sparc at the moment, and getting this put
together is probably the hardest part, though I don't think it
should be that hard. I'd copy the sun3 stuff and work from there,
and ask Sparc experts here if you get into trouble. :-)

> What is a good kernel config for this? Enable SUN4 in
> /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf/INSTALL.

Yeah, I'd suggest that. Leave the others enabled, too, though;
might as well make the boot tape work on as many systems as possible.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org