Subject: Re: Bringing up a Sparc 0.00000 box on NetBSD-1.3.3 --- no tape
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: None <rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/02/1999 11:58:20
> > Just thinking out loud.... is the early mt02 controller compiled into
> > the sparc kernel?
> >
> 	The mt02 enables the tape drive to 'emulate' a real SCSI tape,
> 	so from NetBSD's viewpoint it is just a generic SCSI tape drive.
> 	The quality of the emulation is probably a little poor. :/

This is what is confusing me.  It works fine on the sun3 port when
I put a 3/160 cpu in it, but on the sparc it does not work.  That
was leading me to think there was something slightly different between
the traditional sparc and the sun3 port.  The sun4 is actually more
like a sun3 than a later sparc.

> > My solution for testing was to use the sunos 4.1 sparc boot tape
> > (mine was nuked about half way through but enough was there to force
> > tape booting to miniroot kernel and a dd to swap).  I used it to
> > format and setup the partitions, then dd'd an image of the NetBSD
> > miniroot into the swap partition then booted off of that.
> > It came up OK, and set up the drives, but it would not even begin
> > to read anything from the mt02/archive 1/4 inch cartridge streamer.
> > Yet, the sun3 suite did fine.  I am really expecting there may be
> > no mt02 support in the sparc kernel as it is built now.  Anyone
> > able to check or confirm that?
> >
> 	There is no specific mt02 support of which I am aware.
> 	What do the probe messages on NetBSD/sparc and NetBSD/sun3
> 	have to say about the tape?

I will try to load it up again tonight and see if I can find out
any details.

> 	You should be able to hook up any SCSI device to that controller,
> 	providing NetBSD can recognise it. That would include DAT, DLT,
> 	scanner, zip, jaz, cdroms, and tape changers :)

I have a later archive scsi 60mb drive.  Maybe I should try that instead
of the mt02/wangtek and see if that makes a difference.  The tape should
be ID 4?

Thanks!

Bob Keys