Subject: Virtual consoles?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: SAVE MY WALRUS <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/15/1998 09:22:55
Ya know, it just kind of dawned on me that with the right memory mapping
strategy, it would be possible to have three or four screens in memory,
mappable as X:0.0, X:0.1, etc.  One could thus run four virtual displays
on one physical monitor.  I know about virtual desktops, but I was thinking
it would be quite nice to be able to have an XDM on screens 1-3, and the
raw console on screen 0.

I'm sure it seems a bit far-fetched, but there must be someone else out there
who could make use of a virtual screen/console type deal for a SPARCstation.
Considering the support is there for i386, I can't see it would be all that
difficult to make it happen for a SPARC.

Unfortunately, I can't volunteer due to time constraints (3 kids and a wife
will make you wish you could just plug in an exabyte and download your brain
at regular intervals), and I'm already trying to find time to learn how
to write a driver for the ANTARES 4-port SBus serial card.

...or did I miss something here?

				--*greywolf;
--
There is nothing so phenomenal as the music of the Grateful Dead.  ___
No other music can so instantly bring a smile to one's face as    / / \