Subject: Re: New hardware: Tadpole.
To: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/28/1997 22:02:55
> > This is a great illustration of why Linux is kicking the hell out
> > of the BSD camps.  David made one smart assed post months ago,
> > and he still hasn't been forgiven.  Of course it doesn't help that
> > he's from the 'enemy' camp.  This 'us against the world' mentality
> > is getting old.
>
> Pah! Kicking the hell out of BSD, my bottom! In a production environment
> Linux _still_ doesn't cut it. I tried harvest cache under Linux and we
> had to reboot the machine almost daily. There are reasons, and most
> of them are _good_ reasons as to why this state of affairs
> currently exists and as someone who relies upon BSD based Unices, I'm quite
> glad that people have held onto their respective principals.

Here I go :-(

Very wierd thing.  I am running Red Hat Linux on a i586/133Mhz and I
have Squid running there for a huge network (about 5,000 hosts behind
the firewall) and we haven't rebooted the Squid machine since it went
into operation in late november.

I wonder what kind of Linux were you using on that machine, a five
year old kernel?

Miguel.
--
miguel@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx