Subject: Re: Is ICL teamserver compatible ?
To: Serge A. Babkin <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/13/1997 22:53:03
Serge A. Babkin said:

>UNIX_SV iclserv 4.2MP 7MPlus.4.4 DRS 6000 sparc
>
>> under sunos it should give sun4? somewhere, depending on the architecture
>> of your machine. But supersparc isn't supported anyway I think ( don't
>> really know, just suspectin' )
>
>As far as I understood the previous models of these machines runned
>some version os SunOS (at least the documentation in many cases
>describe BSD-like system while the existing OS is absolutely not
>BSD-like). Now they moved to their own port of SVR4 and this
>was their big mistake. It's SO unstable :-(

ICL has been running SVR4 on their systems for a number of years now,
if they ran BSD, it was back in the eighties.  However, they did hack
their OS to be compatible with Solaris 2.x.  The DRS 6000 is not an
SBUS machine, as I remember.  The Teamserver is an updated version of
the DRS6000 that shipped after Fujitsu bought them out.

My favorite ICL machine had a 68020 running SVR2 on top of a proprietary
ICL kernel.  It had dual consoles for booting...
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com	    rmk@tencats.rmkhome.com
                http://tencats.rmkhome.com