Subject: Re: Need some help
To: John Franklin Acree <jfacree@eos.ncsu.edu>
From: Charles <clepple@jolt.tjhsst.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/23/1996 15:36:50
You wrote:
> I've recently gotten a Sparc IPX, it has no OS running on it. I'm looking to
> put NetBSD on it. I have access to another machine to netboot from. What files
> do I need to get?  And where can I get them?  Thanks.
I'm sure that someone has already written a reply, but since I
haven't seen any posted, I'll assume otherwise.

First of all, is the other machine a Sun? You'll need a bootparamd
running on a Sun, among other things.

At a NetBSD distribution site, cd to
/pub/{whatever}/NetBSD-1.1/sparc. You want both the binary and install
directories, and you may be fortunate enough to be on a ftp site which can
tar+gzip stuff on the fly. A good test of this is: "get install.tar.gz",
and if it returns an error message, use "mget". Once you have all of these
files, you'll have more luck if you read the install/INSTALL file, since
I'm not too familiar with all of the details. At TJHSST, I just hooked up a
spare SCSI disk to a SunOS machine, and used the install_from_sunos.sh
script in the install/ directory.

Anon. FTP sites:
(cf install/INSTALL)
ftp.iastate.edu: pub/netbsd
ftp.eecs.umich.edu: BSD/NetBSD
gatekeeper.dec.com: pub/BSD/NetBSD
flick.lerc.nasa.gov: pub/NetBSD
ftp.netbsd.org: pub/NetBSD
 and then some foreign sites which I assume you don't need to know about.

--Charles Lepple, '96
co-system administrator
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
clepple@tjhsst.edu
http://www.tjhsst.edu/~clepple/