Subject: Re: booting a 4/330
To: None <lucifer@dstc.edu.au>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/1996 04:56:07
> G'day ... I have come into possession of two 4/330's and I am having a little
> trouble booting them.

You'll be happy when you do.  This machine runs NetBSD very well, and it's
a decent performer.

> firstly. the monitor mode seems quiet bizzare, I am used to sun3 and sun4[cm]
> modes ... this one seems a little odd as it is an old-mode yet it is a
> sun4. I can't get it to go into new mode .. I don't think it has one :(

Nope, it doesn't have one.

> it tries to boot off sd(0,18,0) (and did when it had slowaris on scsi id#3)
> I can not for the life of me figure out how it gets 18 from id 3.

3*6?  I don't actually know.  But if you think that's bizzare...

> added a cdrom to it on #6 ... tried all sorta of incantations
> sd(0,6,2)
> sr(0,6,2)
> sd(0,6,0)
> sd(0,21,2) (18+3)
> etc etc etc
> All of them give me "sd: Device not found."

You want sd(0,30,1)  Partition 2 is for booting sun4c machines, but
partition 1 is for sun4 machines.

Also, the normal first tape is st(0,28,0) in case you ever need it.

> what gives ...?
> This is unlike anything I have dealt with sun's ... any hints/suggestions?

It's like all the other sun4 (not sun4c or sun4m) machines in these
regards, as far as I can tell.

Odd, yeah, but at least SCSI ID 0 is sd(0,0,0)...  :)

Good luck!
- Geoff