Subject: Re: A few Sun4m changes
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@helios.mn.org>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/26/1996 09:34:58
On Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:34:10 -0500 (CDT)
 rhealey@helios.mn.org (Rob Healey) wrote:

> 	The 10 is notorious for it's braindamaged ledma device that causes
> 	ALOT of grief. Apparently the rev of ethernet controller in most
> 	10's is basically hopeless.
>
> 	ledma devices in sun4m boxes in general cause a higher interrupt load
> 	than the buffered versions but only that, i.e. I know of no other
> 	sun4m ledma design that has the serious braindamage of the 10's...
>
> 	For the 10 it's a matter of survival to avoid the motherboard
> 	ethernet. For all other sun4m's it's a performance issue.
>
> 	The problem has to do to the way the ether controller on the 10
> 	locks up the sbus solid when too much traffic is on the network.
> 	The "silent death" syndrome...
>
> 	On a lightly loaded net the 10 is usually OK, any significant
> 	NFS traffic to/from the box is usually enough to lock it up
> 	solid.

Yes this confirms what I knew, Bassically the solution to both these
problems is to have a script that pings other machines on your net. Select
3 machines and if you don't get a reply then ifconfig le0 down; ifconfig
le0 up. This works reasonably well.

Regards,
Neil

--
Neil J. McRae.                               DNS: Domino Network Services
neil@domino.org        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)