Subject: Re: A few Sun4m changes
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/23/1996 12:06:07
cgd wrote:

> If you're on a really busy network that gets hosed with lots of
> activity (enough to see 'no carrier' messages during regular use), it
> seems that you could be arbitrarily scrwed by this...
>
> maybe it's just me, but i don't enjoy having "Really Cool (tm)"
> features in my kernel.  I want reliable, deterministic, ones.
>

> cgd

Perhaps both features?  'link0' and '-link0' cause the connector
to be hard-coded, while not specifying lets the driver control it?
That way those using a machine in a "production" environment can
add the appropriate link value and forget about it.  It might
even be an interesting redundancy feature to have TPE and AUI both
cabled up, to different hubs, and if one connection/hub/cable fails
the driver will automatically switch. :)

-Andrew