Subject: (Quasi-) SUMMARY: pre-built kernels with UCONSOLE
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/02/1994 08:13:05
Here's my sort-of summary of the discussion.

- Functionality such as that provided by SunOS 4's "/etc/fbtab" would be
  desirable.

- Support for "fbtab" semantics would have to be added to "getty" and "login".

- If you were using "xdm" to log onto your console (thereby bypassing "getty"
  and "login"), you would need to have a program that would perform similar
  "fbtab" magic run out of the "Xstartup" script (which gets run as "root" by
  "xdm" before starting "Xsession" as the user).  This would require that the
  program to do this be created and that an "Xstartup" script to execute it be
  created as well (MIT X11 doesn't come with a default "Xstartup" script to use
  by default).

Chuck Cranor provided (privately) a program taken from XKernel 1.5 called
"xdm-login-accounting" (I presume you run this from your own Xstartup, Chuck?)
that adds wtmp entries and checks for a valid user shell.  Perhaps the
"fbtab" functionality could be added to it.

My bottom line is that I need "xconsole" to work so that I don't get console
messages splattered all over my framebuffer.  The quickest and dirtiest
solution is to have UCONSOLE defined in the kernel.  If this provides a way to
get the same thing to work (i.e., I own the console device while I'm logged on,
so "xconsole" works without needing root priviledge or the ability to issue
TIOCCONS from a non-root user), then that's just fine with me.

Any comments?  Agree/disagree?

	- Greg