Subject: Re: X server (was Re: data sheets for 5000/200)
To: Bob Lantz <lantz@Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/12/2001 19:47:53
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Bob Lantz wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Lord Isildur wrote:
>
> > these make fine X workstations. though, the X server in netbsd is a
> > little slow, and the ultrix X server, while only x11R5 , is really fast.
>
> I realize I keep asking this question, but no one seems to ever answer it,
> and I don't think it's in the FAQ although I may be mistaken:
>
>  Has anyone developed, or is anyone working on, a fast X server for
>  NetBSD/pmax? Maybe even supporting the PMAGB-B graphics card??

	If memory serves, there is an accelerated X server for
NetBSD/Alpha and the PMAGB-B. The problem is that there is no single way
to handle keyboard and mouse support on NetBSD/pmax because of all the
various system board designs. WSCONS support should make this all better
as soon as a driver for the 3MAX is written. Then someone could try and
port the Alpha X server to pmax. Otherwise it would just be a waste of
time duplicating code and effort. There has been some headway in WSCONS
integration on the pmax side. I don't know what the status of it is so
far, but it does support some of the accleration features of the
PMAGB-B. If you want to help at this point, I think whats needed is a
WSCONS driver for the 3MAX mouse and keyboard controller (SCC).

	Chris