Subject: Re: Missing heat sinks on 5k/25 cpu/fpu?
To: Ken Wellsch , port-pmax <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/28/2001 14:01:42
on 2/28/01 8:23 AM, Ken Wellsch at kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com wrote something
like:

> I'm looking at a DEC 5000/25 system and after seeing the cpu/fpu
> heat sinks on my other 5k systems was surprised to find none on
> this maxine.  I don't see any trace of the heat sinks being removed.
> Do I want to find some before using the system, or did DEC ship
> some/all this way?  Thanks for any pointers!  Cheers,  -- Ken

    Nope they're not missing, just simply not needed. Of the 5 DECstations I
have, only one has heat sinks on the CPU or FPU, and that's the 5000/200.
Even the 5000/240's don't have heat sinks. The only machines that probably
need them are the 2100, 3100, 5000/200 and the 5000/260. <=- massive
My 5000/25 CPU & FPU are hardly warm to the touch after hours of operation,
and are noticeably not made of Ceramic like most of the others.

    Chris

--

Murphy was an optimist.