Subject: PMAGB-B Scrolling/Clearing
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/20/2000 15:10:46
Hi again,

	Well I've been fooling around with various TC FB's (PMAGB-B,
PMAG-C, PMAG-E, PMAG-DV) and I have a proposition or two to make.

	1.) Scrolling on the PMAGB-B and PMAG-DV are SLooowwwwwww, and it
		stops the entire computer when it does. (I'm talking about
		in the system console, not in X) Can we make like Ultrix
		and shift the display up about five lines at a time when
		it reaches the bottom of the screen instead of just one?
		I would think that shifting it up somehow rather than
		scrolling would be much faster. Any other ideas/thoughts?
		How does Ultrix "do it?"

	2.) Can someone add a way to make the system console 25x80 or
		60x160? Something better than 60x80 *without* having to
		rebuild a kernel? Or if it would require rebuilding, how
		does one go about altering the kernel config to get a
		certain size?

	I imagine at least some of the slowness is due to interuppt
handling slowness at certain times and the still non-accelerated sfb/xsfb
console(?). methinks most all Alpha, pmax and eventually a few VAXen would
benifit from both of the above since most DEC FB's are either 1024x768 or
1280x1024. It would be nice to change some console settings (easily) for
all FB's. Any thoughts, comments, gripes, insults, other ideas?

	Chris