Subject: 1.4.1 Kernels dont boot and 1.3.3 have no net
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Pitchford <cpitchford@intrepid.co.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/14/1999 21:43:12
Hi all,

I think I have a freaky 5000/120. I cannot boot a 1.4.1 kernel on this box
for love nor money. I managed to "borrow" a DEC disk and, using a Linux
intel box, I dd'd the diskimage onto the disk.

It had a go at booting but before it displayed

Starting at 0x080030000

or similar it halted, exactly the way it does when I try to TFTP boot a
1.4.1 kernel..

I have a copy of 1.3.3 aswell now, and I dd'd the diskimage on the disk in
the same way as before.. This time is booted, gave me a shell prompt and
everything. The problem now lies in the fact the ethernet doesn't work.

The moment I try to send any data out I get

# ping 10.1.3.1
PING TO 10.1.3.1 (10.1.3.1): 56 data bytes
le0: device timeout
ping: sendto: Host is down
ping: sendto: Host is down
ping: sendto: Host is down
^C

I wondered if it was due to it using an incorrect interface so I tried

# ifconfig le0 media AUI
ifconfig: SIOSIFMEDIA: Device not configured
#

Does anyone know of anyone experiencing a problem with the NIC. Perhaps
this might explain why the 1.4.1 kernels don't boot?? I know the card
works I can boot 1.3.3 kernels over tftp and I can run DecStation Linux
and telnet into the box?!

I'll trawl the mail archive and see if I can't spot something

Cheers all

Chris

Chris Pitchford <cpitchford@intrepid.co.uk>