Subject: None
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/30/1999 00:24:14
>If xdm crashes and you don't have getty waiting for the console, and
>you're not on a network (and don't have other terminals), you have no
>way to bring the machine down cleanly.  I'm not saying that it's a
>good idea to have getty waiting for the console in all situations.  I
>am saying that it is a good idea in some situations, and it does work
>correctly in those situations.  So, your claim that it is necessary to
>turn the console off was false.  Doing so may be desirable in certain
>situations, but it is not required for the system to function in a
>manner that could be described as correct.

I've run xdm this way since, um, was it R2 or R3? (anyone remember awm?)
On hp-ux, MORE/bsd, sunos 4, Ultrix, probably IRIX, and NetBSD.

The pmax has a bug. If anyone has insight i'd be very happy to hear it.
We're using the MI console code, after all...

[for Stanford users, the answer is to get Sweet Hall to support NetBSD:)]