Subject: Re: Current PMAX 5000/200 SCSI oddity
To: Andreas Priebe <Andreas.Priebe@promos-consult.de>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/21/1998 15:08:18
On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Andreas Priebe wrote:

> I know this is a real old story, which I hoped is resolved now -
> especially after reading the relaese notes of current 1.3.x releases.
> So I went along and built a kernel from current as of 19.12.
>
> But alas...
>
> Already during boot it gave me lots of the wellknown
>
>   asc_get_status cmdreg 11 fifo count 6 (or 7 or 3)
> or
>   rz0 Illegal request
>   rz1 Illegal request
> or
>   SENSE
>
> and dumped so much core files that I changed back imediately to my
> (relatively) stable kernel from -current as of March 98.
>
> Any ideas what I am doing wrong ... ???

  These would appear to be some of the problems documented in PR#5510,
which is partially fixed in -current and 1.3.3.  I was able to duplicate
some of the problems that Greg Wohletz reported in that PR, and fix or
work around them, but Greg was still having problems that I was not
able to duplicate on my system and was not able to come up with anything
for Greg to try that would help me understand where the problem was.  My
guess is that it depends upong the SCSI devices attached to the system,
and the devices I have don't exhibit that problem.

  Until I can get a device configuration that has the same problem, this
is probably not likely to get fixed soon.  [Also, when the pmax finally
gets switched to the MI ncr53c9x driver, the problem may disappear.]

Michael