Subject: X-windows trouble
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: User ZOMBIE <zombie@il.fontys.nl>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/10/1997 23:28:40
Greetings, I hope I won't be asking (too often) repeated questions, but at
this point I'm kind of stuck...

I've got a personal DECstation 5000/25 (Maxine), which is by now up and
running with 1.3alpha, but I can't get X-windows to run on it properly.

There is only 116MB of hard disk space, so I had to cut down on the
distribution quite a bit. I've got the base, etc, xbase, xserver, xfonts and
man distribution tar files installed. The machine has been configured for my
network and so on, but when I try to run X (Xcfbpmax) it keeps complaining
about not being able to set the default font path (followed by a list of
paths where it's fonts should be) and the server exits with a fatal error
because it can't get any fonts allocated.

Running the xfs with the fontpaths in it's catalogue seems to produce a
operational fontserver (at least, so claims lsfsfonts), but running
X -fp trillian:7100 (which is the machine's name), or X -fp localhost:7100
produces errors about the fonts again.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need additional distribution files?

 ______
   /  /   | \/ |  | | __|		http://www.il.fontys.nl/~zombie
|______|__|_||_|__|_|\__|		zombie@charm.il.fontys.nl
					mb470@hi.fontys.nl
Treasurer and BOFH of IGV InterLink; Supreme Commander of FCG.

#define QUESTION ((2b || !2b)) -- Shakespeare in C