Subject: Re: tftp boot
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/06/1997 09:54:33
> Oh.  I'm still pretty certain the FCO didn't get installed to the
> Stanford machines until after other groups had installed 5000/25s.
> But I'm sure you know more about the details of what happened when at
> WSE than I do :).

Yeah.   It may well not have been installed at Stanford until well
after it was released from WSE - I'm pretty sure there was a field
test before the PROM was finally released, and Stanford may not have
been in on that, or there may have been changes in the PROM as a
result of the field test.

> Ted, any idea what's going on inside the PROM?

Sadly, I wasn't clever enough to walk off with a copy of the PROM
sources when I had the chance... :')

> I've tried refrobbing elf2ecoff to emit six sections, in order:
> 	.text .rdata .data .sdata .sbss .bss
>
> using text, data, and bss from the ELF psects for text and data, and
> zero-sized .rdata, .sdata and .sbss segments.  in the former 5000/120
> I have, that makes no difference whatsoever.

I think you're on the right track, but I don't know what specifically
you'd need to do to make the PROM do the right thing.  It may be a
section alignment problem.

It's also possible that the gprmask is "wrong" or that it's expecting
a value in for the gp register and isn't happy that elf2ecoff sets it
to zero.

			       _MelloN_