Subject: Re: Booting nfsnetbsd problem
To: None <DHASSEL@umassd.edu>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/17/1996 09:10:41
DHASSEL@umassd.edu writes:
 >                                      University of Mass Dartmouth, 16-SEP-1996
 >
 >     I'm trying to boot a DS3100 via tftp/bootp.  I get the initial boot and
 > then just repeats a message:
 >
 > nfs_boot: using ketwork interface le0
 > nfs_boot: Client_addr=0x12341b1b
 > nfs_boot: Server_addr=0x12343532
 > nfs_boot: Hostname=rho.phy.umassd.edu
 > RPC Timeout for server 0x12343532
 > RPC Timeout for server 0x12343532
 > .
 > .
 > .
 >     Did I miss somthing or what am I doing wrong?

This means that the client has talked to rarpd & found its
address. Its also talked to rpc.bootparamd and found the address of
the nfs server that should be holding its / partition.  At this point
its attempting to mount the / filesystem, but either the server
doesn't exist, isn't an NFS server, or isn't exporting the diskless
client's root filesystem.

I think the 0x12343532 works out to an IP address of 18.52.53.50 for
the NFS server -- this looks bogus to me ---.  Check /etc/bootparams on
the machine running rpc.bootparamd & make sure the root and swap
entries for your DECstation are valid.

If you've altered the addr. numbers being reported, & they really are
valid, check the server's setup carefully, and verify that the
diskless client's root fs really can be mounted.

Hope this helps,

Drew