Subject: Re: Preliminary diskless-install instructions on web page, clarification of disklabel offset issue
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/10/1996 10:41:25
On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Jonathan Stone wrote:

..
.. I've bashed a version of Andrew Gallatin's diskless-setup notes
.. into HTML and added them to the pmax installation web page.
.. Thanks to Andrew for trying this, and for posting the instructions.
..
.. I'd appreciate  feedback from anyone who has time to read it, and
.. even more from anyone who has time to try setting up a diskless-boot
.. environment.
..
.. --Jonathan

I tried to do this.

Environment: Boot server is DS3100 running NetBSD/pmax 1.2_BETA
Client machine: DS5000/133 normally running Ultrix.

I set up tftp/bootp on the DS3100 and populated the tftp root
directory with a newly built kernel targeted at a DS5000.

On the DS5000 I get the following result:

  >>boot 3/tftp
  ?IO: 3/tftp, a.out err (-2)

Am I right in guessing that the DS5000 booter does not recognize the
kernel file's format?? -- or is there another explanation?

The 5000 identifies itself as

  KN02-BA V5.7j

Does this tell anyone whether or not diskless booting should work on
this machine?

regards
Erik Bertelsen