Subject: Trouble with 3100
To: None <PORT-PMAX@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David M. Whitney, Systems Programmer <WHITNEY@brenda.fordham.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/02/1996 12:08:08
I've been lurking on this list for a few weeks, and have found it informative.
I've been having a problem getting an initial install of NetBSD installed on my
Decstation 3100 (19" color).

I've labeled an rz23 as instructed in the instuctions.  I constructed a
protofile using the geometry found in an Ultrix 4.3 disktab file. They
procedured to dd the miniroot onto it.  When I try booting of of that drive I
get:

boot: rz(0,0,0)netbsd
open(rz(0,0,0)netbsd) failed: 21
Can't boot 'rz(0,0,0)netbsd'

What am I missing?  Is my protofile screwy?  If I cat the file to the monitor
eventually I do see readable text, so I know something is there...

Is an rz23 supported as a system disk (I know it is not for Ultrix 4.3, which
is running on the only rz24 I have at the moment)?  Can someone send me a
protofile for an rz23, if they have it?

This is the first NetBSD install I'm doing so please bear with me.
--
David M. Whitney
Systems Programmer, Postmaster and Web Administrator, Fordham University