Subject: Bootblocks, esp. for 5k/240?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/11/1995 22:54:50
So I'm trying to get a NetBSD kernel up on a 3max+, aka 5k/240.
The prom says it's rev 5.1b.

And the bootblocks I have -- compiled from the source I sent to the
port maintainer a month ago, the same ones that're in the miniroot on
Gregorio.Stanford.EDU:/pub/netbsd -- don't boot.

Is it a well-known problem that those bootblocks don't work on
IOASIC-generation DECstations?  I just hacked them from the Sprite-
derived bootblocks that Adam Glass put into the pmax port way back
when.

Do the bootblocks in -current work on all DECstations?
I seem to remember hearing that they didn't boot on 3100s.
It owuld be nice to get a bootblock that worked on *any* machine.
Like, I need one that works on 3100s, 5k/200s, and 5k/240s--enough
to spend time getting one. I think the original NetBSD/pmax bootblock
code was derived from Sprite, for which I beleive the bootblocks
came, in turn, from Mach.  Perhaps the latest Mach bootblocks
would fare better?

Then again, if this all got solved months ago and I missed
it, my apologies.

--Jonathan Stone