Subject: Re: Ugh - wierd...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
From: Dean Huxley <dean@fsa.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/30/1994 12:20:55
> On Wed, 30 Nov 1994 09:28:52 -0700
>  Dean Huxley <dean@fsa.ca> wrote:
>
>  > `umount: /usr: not currently mounted' shouldn't affect anything.  It's
>  > annoying to see the message but it isn't a major problem.  You can just
>  > ignore it.
>
> Well...It doesn't seem to be mounted later (when It runs things in
> /usr/sbin...), and then I get a `device busy' when it seemingly mounts it
> later...
>
> Weird...

The problem is that /dev/null probably has the wrong device number.
Try this for a good laugh:

	echo foo > /dev/null

It prints "foo"!

Everything in rc is fine.  The errors you are seeing are normally sent
to /dev/null.

Fix:
	cd /dev
	rm null
	mknod null c 3 2
	chmod a+rwx null

There were other devices with wrong device numbers.. There was a post
about it before.  I can dig it up if you don't have it already...

Dean.