Subject: Re: keyboard pinout?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-next68k
Date: 10/17/2001 02:26:50
--qcHopEYAB45HaUaB

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 07:21:02PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> Is it feasiable to build a passive adapter that connects keyboard to
> slab without needing a monitor in between?  Or are there too many
> smarts in the monitor?  I do note that the monitor pinout does not
> include a "hard reset" line, which was what I first expected - I assume
> there's an ASIC on the CPU board that watches for the nerve pinch and
> kicks the CPU when it occurs.

Huh.

This depends on a few things.

ADB or non-ADB keyboard and mouse?

Sound box, or does the keyboard (etcetera) run through the monitor
(meaning it's a B&W monitor)?

I would guess the easiest solution to your problem would be to get a
sound box, since it sounds like you don't have one (and the keyboard
bits and pieces live there, not in the monitor proper; just so
happens they were inside the monitor case on early models). This,
while it may cost a few (US ;^>) bucks is going to be far less
solderin' pain than what you suggest building.

Go check out http://www.blackholeinc.com/specials/blackhardware.shtml

(If they don't list a sound box separate from keyboard and mouse,
and I don't see that they do, give them a call. They've been very
reliable in my experience.)

If you need a US shipping relayer, I'm glad to help. Let me know in
advance, though; I'll be buying a sound box in the vaguely near
future so that I can use both my turbocube and 030 cube (yes, I
have two heads, both on the turbocube at present) at the same time,
and I could just get both one for you and one for me shipped to me
at once.

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--qcHopEYAB45HaUaB