Port-news68k archive

Re: [RFC] new APIs to use wskbd(4) input on non-wsdisplay tty devices

Hello,

On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 23:56:27 +0900
Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:

> I'd like to add new APIs to use wskbd(4) input on non-wsdisplay
> tty devices, especially news68k that can use a putchar function
> provided by firmware PROM as a kernel console device.
>
> # Details
>
> The news68k machines have various framebuffer options, but
> most of them are not "dumb" framebuffer that can be handled
> by raspos(9) but some of them have own processors (68000 etc.)
> to handle various acceleration etc. so it's difficult to implement
> framebuffer drivers.

You can use wsdisplay without rasops or a mappable framebuffer.
Examples would be things like newport or crmfb on sgimips.

> To support "text only" framebuffer console, we can use putchar
> functions provided by the firmware PROM.

Does it let you draw characters wherever you want with colours of
inverse attrubute?
If so, that's enough for wsdisplay - sti on hppa does just that.

have fun
Michael