Re: booting iBook G4 - kernel panic

Hi David,

David Brownlee wrote:

That is... annoying. One possible immediate nasty workaround while
looking for a real fix: Create a custom boot CD (or USB :) with the
kernel configured to have root on wd0a. That should allow you to boot
from the CD/USB and have it come up automatically.

is there no way to pass it as a parameter in the openfirmware boot?
I suppose here the issue that USB is not initialized properly or early enough? Latest iBooks and PBooks have USB and not ADB.

It is really puzzling that it worked on the powerbook but not the G4
iBook. I assume different OpenFirmware versions - will one possibly
boot with ofwboot.elf and the other with ofwboot.xcf?
I cannot check anymore, but both have OF 3, since neither needed special patches regarding load base and such... could be minor revisions of course.

I wondered about .elf, other suggested it. But if the CD boots fine with .xcf, it should work also from hard disk, shouldn't it? what would be different?

I decided to bite the bullet and reinstall... jumping to v10 !! Burning CD as now... luckily RW cd-s work.

A way to retest everything! I will report separately my experience of from-scratch install. And see if the problem persists or not

Riccardo