Subject: Re: Testers needed for upcoming 3.1 release
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Michael <macallan1888@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/25/2006 21:49:25

Hello,

On Sep 25, 2006, at 20:04, David Young wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 03:47:08PM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> please download the release candidate iso image here
>> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-3-1-RC2/200609031430Z/
>> iso/
>> and test it ( does it boot, does the installer work properly if you
>> happen to have a partition you can wipe, etc. )
>> Right now I have only an iBook G4 ( works fine ) and a beige G3 (
>> known
>> to be troublesome ) to test so please try it on different hardware and
>> report failures, successes and so on.
>
> I just booted the RC3 ISO on my 450 MHz Powerbook G4.  I've *never*
> been able to boot a NetBSD CD-ROM on this machine before, so clearly
> NetBSD 3.1 is doing something right!  Both wi0 and gem0 were detected.

Thank Izumi-san for that :)

> Something else that 3.1 gets right (kind of) is that I can close the
> lid
> without crashing NetBSD.  Presumably power management will still not
> work?

Good to know and no, there's no real power management so far besides
putting the CPU to sleep when idle.

> That worries me a little, because I hear the Powerbook G4 will "melt
> down"
> if it runs too long with the lid closed.

If it's idle it shouldn't heat up too much. I committed drivers for
some fan controllers a while ago - if your powerbook happens to be
supported you can lower the threshold to keep it cool enough ( see
sysctl machdep.* )
If not please have a look at your OF device tree, there should be a
'fan' node somewhere, its 'compatible' property should tell us what
kind of temperature sensor / fan controller you have ( likely some
Analog Devices i2c part, data sheets should be available and writing a
driver should be more or less trivial )

> sysinst failed the fsck_ffs step on /dev/wd0a (good, since that is my
> Mac OS X swap), but it proceeded to the installboot stage (scary!).

Not sure about that - on OF3 we don't really need to do any installboot
voodoo IIRC.

have fun
Michael