Subject: MacOS and NetBSD on one hard drive
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Dominic Williams <netbsd@dominicwilliams.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/22/2005 15:21:43
Hello,

I have a powerbook G3 series on which I would like to
install NetBSD while keeping MacOS 9.

If I understand macppc/INSTALL.html correctly, there is
no way (under OF 2.0.x) of dual-booting MacOS and
NetBSD on one hard drive.

After reading that and also the partitioning guide, I
am still trying to understand how, in practice, the two
OS's can coexist?

Does it boot to MacOS 9 by default, unless I boot using
a floppy? Can I have everything, including the
bootloader, on the hard drive and boot into
OpenFirmware, and then use an OF command to tell it
what to boot onto?

I'm just trying to understand what the options are, and
then I can get back to reading the documentation with a
clearer idea of where I'm going!

Cheers,

Dominic Williams.