Subject: Re: building -current userland
To: None <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/03/2005 03:33:07
In article <l03102807be9c187270c6@[192.168.10.99]>
hockey@dialectronics.com wrote:

> >Are you sure you have enough memory and swap on your host?
> >(Aren't there any kernel messages in /var/log/messages?)
>
> I will check when I do the cvs up later tonight or tomorrow.  I think it
> best for both me and the box if it remains turned off for a while.

How about "zgrep killed /var/log/mesasges*"?
If memory shortage happens, kernel complains like this:

    yourname /netbsd: UVM: pid nnnn.1 (xxxx), uid 0 killed: out of swap

> If this indeed turns out to be
> the problem, some note could be inserted in build.sh to issue a warning if
> physical memory is too small and likely to have problems.

Userland processes can't detect physical memory shortage directly
(it's running on VM system), but if it happens the process will be
killed by kernel with the kernel message noted above and the buildlog
should say like:

    [1]   Killed                  (/usr/ ...
    *** Error code 137

Isn't it enough?
---
Izumi Tsutsui