Subject: Re: Radeon 7000 and PowerMac 8600
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/08/2004 06:57:39
On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 03:14:18PM -0500, John Klos wrote:
> >The PowerMac 7200-9600 models have PCI version 2.0.  Most likely (and I've
> >run into this when trying to find FireWire and USB cards) your card
> >requires PCI 2.1.

thanks for the guess Michael!

> I take care of about a dozen PowerMac 9600 systems. All but two have
> various kinds of Radeon 7000 PCI cards, and the systems work in OS 9 and
> OS X.

yeah, trolling the XPostFacto board, the 8600+7000 is a very common setup,
so i *know* that the Radeon will work in the Mac, and will most likely do
so under OS X, it's just a matter of getting NetBSD to work with it.

OS9/OSX have the benefit of being able to use /AAPL,ROM to bootstrap stuff,
is there some sort of magic in there that we can steal/borrow for NetBSD?

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."