Subject: Re: fix for mc*
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/05/2004 20:31:47
Hi Michael,

>Hmm, just a thought - does it appear again after a really hard reset (
>read: power cycle ) ?

I thought about this too, some sort of setting that stays resident until a
power cycle. Powering down and back up does not revert the behavior when I
boot with the patches. Soft rebooting after a successful mace establishment
and then booting into GENERIC does not continue the interface operations.

>> The apparent randomness of people affected also bothers me. It may have
>> something to do with how they set up /etc/ifconfig.mc0. It might have to do
>> with which kernel build they are using.
>I've never used any media type parameters and I'm not sure I ever had
>something on the AAUI port when >using NetBSD. It was always connected to
>either a 10/100MBit switch or a dumb 10MBit hub.

I think the AAUI part comes in with the chipset. There is something at the
back of my mind that AAUI had priority. I do seem to remember once when I
had an ethernet cable in both the 10BaseT and the AAUI ports connected to a
hub and the AAUI port was where the traffic went. That was some six or
eight years ago, though.

>> Now, if other people start saying that it doesn't fix their mc*, I need to
>> go over this very closely. I can reproduce it somewhat consistently, which
>> goes a long way to figuring out if I'm actually changing something.
>Really weird, I've just made a kernel for Riccardo, let's see what he says.

Yes, I hope it goes well. I appreciate you building one for him.

tim