Subject: Re: 2.0 Beta, Apple UFS
To: m. kolb <muk@bender.cl.msu.edu>
From: Darrin B.Jewell <dbj@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/07/2004 10:08:02
"m. kolb" <muk@bender.cl.msu.edu> writes:

> Hi guys.
>
> I got a new (second) disk for my quicksilver, and thought that I would
> put netbsd 2.0 beta on it.  I also thought it would be neat to setup an
> Apple UFS partition that I could share between OSX and netbsd.  So, I
> used Apple's Disk Utility to cut the spare drive into two partitions,
> both of Apple's type UFS.  I then used pdisk to chop the first partition
> into slices of typle APPL_SRV2 (or whatever the AUX name is).  I
> installed netbsd 1.6.2 no problem (newfs the slices, extracted the sets,
> etc).  I then grabbed the src and built some sets for 2.0Beta.  I built
> a kernel and tried to boot it. And it horked.  The problem looks
> identical to
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2004/06/11/0000.html

This particular problem stems from the way you created the filesystem.

Creating the original Apple UFS filesystem with Apple Disk Utility
put an apple volume label at offset 7k of the filesystem.

Since NetBSD 1.6.2 knows nothing about Apple UFS, it creates a traditional
NetBSD filesystem, but leaves the original Apple volume label in place.

NetBSD 2.0 looks for the Apple UFS volume label and from its presence
determines that the filesystem is apple ufs, when in reality it was
newfs'ed by 1.6.2

The solution here is to newfs the filesystem with NetBSD 2.0, which
will delete the apple ufs volume label, or to use dd or similar
to overwrite the apple volume label from the disk at offset 7k length 1k
of the partition.

You are not the first person to hit this problem, but i'm not sure
if there's a better fix for it.

Darrin