Subject: Re: getting X onto the onboard video
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/27/2004 14:20:28
Hello,

> XFree86 won't start stating that i need wscons.  ok, so i need to get the mac
> to boot with kbd/screen as console and not ttya?
You almost certainly need to do that since XFree tries to access the video board throuch wscons and ofb relies on OF to set up the frame buffer.

>  ok, so how do i do that?
First -try to use the onboard framebuffer as OF console, NetBSD will inherit it.
Have a look at the device tree, find the framebuffer device and use that as output-device, the path is case-sensitive but you don't need all the @x things if you din't have more than one instance of the divice you want to access. Mine for instance is /bandit/3Dfx,Voodoo3, input-device is kbd

> i set input/output, but i never get OF on the screen, but if i plug the serial
> cable in after it's up, i get console on ttya anyway.  help?
Then something in input-device or output-device settings is wrong, at least my S900 ( OF 1.0.5 ) falls back to ttya for both input and output when it can't use what I configured.

Maybe it helps to add
        Option "Protocol" "wskbd"
        Option "Device" "/dev/wskbd0"
to the InputDevice / Keyboard section of your XF86Config, I need it if I start XFree from something else than the console, like ssh which I used to do to see XFree's output.

have fun
Michael