Subject: Re: new 8600 motherboard
To: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/26/2004 13:29:30
--z4+8/lEcDcG5Ke9S

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 07:39:44PM -0400, Paul Frommeyer wrote:

Sorry for the delay.

>=20
> Some data points that may or may not be of any help ;-) :
>=20
> - I'm not sure, but the 8600 might be willing to boot MacOS off
>   the ZIP if it just has an HFS filesystem and blessed system
>   folder on it
>=20
> - Assuming the 1.X OFW isn't smart enough to do that, you might be
>   able to coax it by just changing the device reference in the default
>   boot-device setting in a boot command; e.g.;
>         boot /pci/mac+io/ide@21000:,\\:tbxi
>   where the hard-disk version that my notes say worked was:
> 	boot hd:,\\:tbxi
>   but as usual my caveat is that this was different OFW (2.4), and of
>   course the ZIP path will probably be very different for the 8600.

Note that the \\:tbxi stuff is for newer OF versions. I didn't know it=20
worked with 2.4, but I know it works with 3.0. In this mode, it goes out=20
and finds the file of type 'tbxi' and boots that. That in turn is usually=
=20
the "MacOS ROM file" file. If you rip into the latter, you'll see for the=
=20
first 8k or 16k, it's a FORTH script. After that, it's an ELF file.

> - The way MacOS licensing is supposed to work for older machines is that
> each is "entitled" to a copy of the then-current OS. I *think*, but am not
> sure, that that is 8.0 for that era of machine. All this being the case,
> I'm sure somebody (me, for instance) would be happy to make an appropriate
> CD-ROM image available for you since under those terms no copyright or li=
censes
> would be violated.=20

I believe you are correct.

> - At the risk of putting forth problematic information, I've sucessfully
>   booted the NetBSD installer by putting OFWBOOT.XCF on one disk and then
>   told it to boot the kernel from the install CD. I do not know if this
>   would work with OFW 1.X, though.

It probably would work, but it requires a lot of specific instruction.

Take care,

Bill

--z4+8/lEcDcG5Ke9S

--z4+8/lEcDcG5Ke9S--