Subject: Re: Booting from CD with -current
To: Bob Nestor <bob@murphy.dyndns.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/23/2004 11:40:07
On Aug 20, 2004, at 8:18 PM, Bob Nestor wrote:

> Some folks, including me, have been having problems trying to boot
> -current from CD.  I've narrowed the problem down on my system and it
> appears to be something in the ofwboot file.

ofwboot.xcf has been broken for me for over 6 months I think, and I
just use an old copy I have floating around
on my machine each time I make a cd to try a snapshot. I have no idea
why it isn't working, but my machine is
a dual G4 1GHz quicksilver.

> A build of -current from a few days ago fails to boot on my B&W G3.
> It gets a "Default Catch" while trying to load netbsd.macppc.  The
> version of ofwboot.xcf is 1.10.

Yeah, I think that is what I always get too.

> Replacing the ofwboot.xcf file with an old version 1.7 and the system
> boots just fine.  It also boots fine using the 1.7 version of
> ofwboot.elf.
>
> I'll have to build another CD to check, but I suspect this is also the
> problem with the "C" Snag Key not working when the CD is built to
> support this.

I don't think ctrl-C will work with ofwboot. My understanding of it is
that it is using the chrp boot stuff which flags the bootable
file somehow, and ofwboot.xcf is just a plain file on the cd unless you
do some really magic stuff making the cd (I just make
a hybrid iso/hfs cd and boot from openfirmware manually.