Subject: E100/SCSI
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/18/2004 12:51:22
Hello,

just found this:

> There are two possible areas where we might need to adjust:
>
> a) For 'jackhammer', do *not* download newer f/w. Live with whatever
> OBP
> or other PROMS have set up.
>
> b) For 'jackhammer', the memory timing register (MTR) on the ISP chip
> should *not* be reset to that which is normal for any other QLogic- it
> has to be left alone (because somebody did a completely different
> memory
> I/F for the SRAM that the chip is talking to). This is an area of h/w
> support that is not something that is easy to infer from any parameters
> or first principles.

tried both, no results. Looks like the OF ROM doesn't load any firmware
into the ISP - I tried dumping it to the console early in the isp
driver, got random data, every 2nd byte 0xff. Then I had a look at the
ROM itself - there's a MacOS driver and some OF glue, no obvious isp
firmware image - must be there though, or MacOS wouldn't be able to
boot from it. Maybe it's compressed in some way, but there's no real
need to do that, the ROM is only 2/3 full ( rest is 0xff ) and the
firmware image should be only ~10KB or so. Maybe I should try to
disassemble the ROM and look for parts that don't make sense.

The notice above is 2 years old and from the author of the driver
that's used by NetBSD - obviously it hasn't been fixed.

have fun
Michael