Subject: Re: my 8600
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/16/2004 13:44:20
Hello,

>>> now, if only i could get perl58 to build.  bah.
>> Works fine for me ( G3/NetBSD 2.0G )
>> What exactly goes wrong?
>
> acording to the folks on teck-pkg, this is a known issue.  it seems
> that perl
> tickles an optimization bug in gcc.  the real solution would to be to
> fix gcc,
> but that may be asking for a bit too much, yes?  ;)
Yep, that's more or less what I wrote earlier - same error on AIX which
went away when removing -O2 from CFLAGS. Strangely - so far I've only
seen it on 604(e) processors.

> in the meantime, either you get to run an optimized 5.6 or an
> unoptimized 5.8.
I used IBM's compiler on AIX so it should be a tad faster anyway :p
But seriously - on AIX perl was pretty determined to use xlc at all
cost - it needed some hackery to get it to use gcc at all ( and keep it
from trying to use xlc-specific options thet only confuse gcc ) - and
then this error, imagine my frustration :/
( hmm, weird error on line 666 - coincidence? )

have fun
Michael